Alphonse and Dorimène Desjardins International Institute for Cooperatives of HEC Montréal
Thanks to a major donation by Desjardins Group to the Campus Montréal campaign, the Alphonse and Dorimène Desjardins International Institute for Cooperatives of HEC Montréal was created in 2014. Its purpose is to understand and promote the place and role of cooperatives in the economy and society and, in doing so, to shed more light on management practices, policies and actions required in the future to promote the identity of cooperatives and ensure their development.
The Institute’s mission is:
- Promote and support the development and the sharing of knowledge on cooperatives;
- Provide an opportunity where the different actors of the cooperative movement can train and exchange;
- Ensure the evolution of research towards an “open” model, broadening the research themes of cooperatives to all disciplines.
The Institute’s work is structured around three fields of activities, corresponding to the three aspects of its mission:
- Access to knowledge, with the Cooperatives Gateway: Promote the access, development and sharing of knowledge on cooperatives and mutuals in the digital age.
- Expertise and transfer, through activities on the management of cooperatives: Organize knowledge transfer and training activities in partnership with cooperatives, and create an international discussion and networking hub.
- Research, by attracting and supporting highly rated researchers on cooperatives related topics.